What’s Involved in Botox® TMJ Therapy and Treatments?
If you have TMJ Syndrome, headaches, or migraine pain, and your healthcare professional determines you are a candidate for this treatment, your specific diagnoses and the severity of your condition will dictate how much Botox® you will require.
Botox® is injected into the affected head and neck muscles. Botox® blocks nerve signals that cause muscle movements, essentially relaxing the muscles and reducing or eliminating facial pain.
Botox® injections take only a few minutes and will remain effective for up to 3 months. Pain symptoms may return 3 months after your initial treatment. With a series of treatments, Botox® can retrain your muscles to relax and you will notice your symptoms resolve for longer periods of time.
You will also notice your facial esthetics will considerably improve. Facial wrinkles will disappear following the treatment. The jaw may even slim down, cre3ating a beautiful esthetic effect.
Your healthcare professional will help you feel great and look great all in the same treatment.
- Botox® treatment for TMJ typically takes just a few minutes depending on the number of injections needed.
- Patients will begin to see results from their treatment with Botox® within 3-5 days following the procedure.
- The effects of treatment last for approximately 3 months.
- After 2-3 treatments with Botox®, many patients lose the habit which accompanies the repetitive grinding and clenching.
- The use of Botox® is versy safe, however, as with any medical procedure there are possible risks and side effects to be aware of when using Botox® for TMJ treatment.